Saturday, October 4, 2008

I definitely have some wheelsssssss...

Coming to another country can provide so many amazing opportunities...obviously.One opportunity that I was so stoked about was the opportunity to drive over here.Not only do they drive on the other side of the road, but also on the other side of the car!I knew that this would be a task and I was totally up for the challenge...

So, this past Thursday my friends Jo, Rachel, and Sara came up from South Auckland and drove my car, known as "Nelson" to the Yates house. There he was...a four door gray little car. It comes equiped with no working radio and the AC only works on full blast. That's right my friends, this car has personality.Well, on Friday I set out on a journey to hang out with Rachel down south and hopped on the motorway headed into the city of Auckland. The motorway=packed.I've been in traffic jams before, but nothing compared to this one.

I was texting my friends saying that I was stuck in this massive traffic jam.Here I was,no AC and no radio...so what did I do?The one thing that any American would do...I busted out my laptop and started jamming to tunes :)I was stuck on the motorway for two hours...and moved maybe 2.5 miles.What a journey by myself...my first time driving...and I went nowhere.Pretty much a success!

Come to find out,there was a massive accident on the main bridge.A truck was going under an overpass, but had too much stuff on the top of his truck and pretty much destroyed the bridge. They had to shut down the entire motorway for about 10 miles...and when I went driving yesterday, I saw the middle of the bridge completely taken out.I guess you could say that they won't be using that bridge for a while...

So,it's been a few days...I've only driven on the wrong side of the road once.No one has gotten hurt and Nelson is a little loud, but is steady...more adventures to come I'm sure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heidi,

I would love to visit you while you are there but there is no way I can come up with that amount of money. The program that I work with in the schools comes from the New Zealand model of intervention for students having difficulty learning to read in first grade. I want to go to the schools and see it at work, and I want to talk to the public and get their feedback about Reading Recovery. I think it improved the quality of my life and definitely the lives of the bottom 20 % that I work with.

Hope you are encountering God in many new and exciting ways. He has appointed this time for you! Your mom looks amazing for someone who just had surgery.

Blessings to you in the name of Christ,
Cindy G