Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Day of Firsts...



Have you ever come up with a list of things that you want to do in your life?It's probably something dorky to do,but I've definitely done it...and I bet you wouldn't be able to guess what one of those things was...driving a stick shift.Yeap...twenty-two years of life and I had never done that before.The closest that I had ever come was driving the four wheeler back home and let's just say that I wasn't very good at it.

In New Zealand, tons of people drive manual cars...it's actually kind of ridiculous and I felt like a loser for never knowing how to drive one...or having ever attempted to drive one.So,who decides to be brave and teach me?That's right...my friend Brent took on this challenge.We headed out this afternoon to a parking lot and he began to give me instructions.Now,I don't pay attention very well unless I'm about to do something..meaning,until I'm in the driver's seat,I won't be really soaking in anything that he was saying to me.

So there I sat...my little legs barely reaching the clutch and I started driving...it wasn't easy,but I was trying to come across as confident...as Brent laughed and I got more nervous.I didn't want to break his car or anything.So...I'm alive, I've driven in reverse, parked,stalled(a few times),and driven on the main road...yeah,that's right...be impressed.

Then it was time for our next adventure for the day.You see,I love kites.At college I would go and fly kites...at least I did my junior year.So,when I was given my car...there was a kite in the trunk,so I thought "Wow!What a great idea!"So,after my driving lesson,Brent flew a kite for the first time!He was a tad excited.We toughed it out through the lack of wind, rain, and sunshine so that you could see the picture up above...booyah.

1 comment:

BJ said...

It's not possible to break Brent's car any more than it already is...