Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Youth Pastor Heidi

So,something exciting happened today!For the past few days, something has been weighing heavily on my heart...and that's just my purpose for being here in New Zealand.I have such a passion for teens and a heart to see them come to know God and go deeper with Him...

Being new here,I wasn't about to open up my mouth and say what I thought I should say,but I wanted to ease into the role of "the intern" and not offer too much too soon...which,honestly,was a good idea.Then I became discontent...and I knew that if I didn't speak up,that I would be hindering what God wanted me to do.


So, after talking to some people that I respect dearly, a conclusion was made.I had to talk to Pastor Mike and express my heart and passion. I hate confrontation and I was really scared that I would come across as the intern who didn't know her place.When I get nervous,I get dinosaurs in my stomach and my hands get clammy and sometimes I stutter...so I was so scared!

I spent some time in prayer last night about my approach and just that God would speak through me and that Pastor Mike would have open ears, an open mind, and an open heart to what I had to say to him.We spoke for about an hour and a half and I just shared my heart with him and what I wanted to get out of my internship and where I felt I had to be obedient to God.

I love teens.I connect with them.Last night at our Teen Bible Study (Laundromat..love it), a guy walked in and I instantly knew something was wrong and I asked him later if he wanted to talk about it and I knew exactly what was wrong.That's not just a coincidence...My heart hurts when they hurt and having some crappy teenage years,I just connect with them...and it's a crucial time.Your teenage years are when some decide to follow Christ or turn from them and I want to be there for them...I want to impact them for Christ.

After sharing my heart, Pastor Mike said, okay,let's do it.You're in charge.You're the youth pastor.Um...frightening but SO exciting!!Our first outting is tonight to go and see Tom's play...we're supporting him as a Bible study.Seriously...so good!

Be blessed and be a blessing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that you are following the voice of God. We all know your heart for teens and I am so pleased to know the pastor is giving you this incredible opportunity and responsibility. I know you are there to do an amazing work...and here you go! Love you and miss you, but so happy to know you are where the Lord needs you and wants you. Keep the faith <3
Mom

Victoria said...

Thats awesome!!