Saturday, October 25, 2008

How to Save a Life

Now,I'm not "The Fray," but I learned how to save a life today.Today is Sunday in kiwiland...and I had gone out for a meeting after church and didn't make it home until about 3 pm.So, I put my key in the door and walk in.Then,I hear it...something struggling.

I turned to my left and I see this bird flying around my living room.I instantly panicked.I went back outside and closed the door."What the heck am I going to do?"is what I thought.So, I thought to myself that I wasn't going to be intimidated by a bird(though clearly I was), so I went back inside the house.I tried to think of how this bird managed to get into our house without one of us noticing.

All of my flatmates were gone, so then I thought that it was a pretty sweet prank to pull,but I was worried when I saw the bird landing on my fresh clean laundry that it would poop on it...so I panicked yet again.Okay, think Heidi...how do you get this thing out.It kept running into the windows, so I wasn't about to go over there to try and open them.So,I do what any girl does...I call a guy...however, this guy doesn't pick up his phone.So, then I do what any girl would do next: call another guy...but there again was no answer.So, I call Rachel and she talks me through it.

I was in rare form.I was literally dodging my head and trying to make it go in my sweater for fear of the bird pooping on me or pecking out my eyes (thanks to a scary story told to me by one of my friends).The doors wouldn't open...awesome.I struggled for a bit, but finally the latch opened and I stood back waiting for the bird to leave.Instead of going out the door, it flew into the window again...then it got some brains (I honestly don't know how it had any left after running into the window that many times) and it flew out.

I saved a life...a bird's life.Is it dorky if I thought spiritually about this?Cause I did...we are a lot like birds...constantly looking for a way out, feeling trapped...but we're too stupid to look to the obvious answer (God), so we keep running into obstacles that get us no where (windows).Think about that for a moment.

Be blessed and be a blessing...save a bird's life.

No comments: