Thursday, October 23, 2008

Namaste

My third year of college (uni), I had to do an assignment that has forever changed the way that I view the world.I had to do an ethnography for cultural anthropology.I had to sit in one location for a total of six hours over a span of six weeks.Actually in the process, I was kicked out of Wal*Mart (ask for details if you really want to know). Essentially I had to watch people. I had to watch their habits, reactions, expressions, how they treated others, their looks, and write down my observations.

I felt somewhat creepy at the time...watching people left and right and then jotting down notes along the way.I remember going into malls when I was in high school and being creeped out by the old men that would sit in the big circle area (you know what I'm talking about) and they would just stare.I didn't want people to think that was me, as a twenty year old...gross.

So, now two years later...I'm stuck doing an ethnography everywhere I go.I am constantly observing people and how they act and it actually makes me check how I act/react.Want to know where you can see the true colors of a person? A traffic jam.I've experienced plentyyyy of those since being here...I always manage to get stuck in them.

Last week,I was stuck in traffic and this guy in a red truck was beside me and he started cursing at me...for no reason.I wasn't doing anything wrong,but this guy for some reason was ticked at me.True colors shown through...

It made me conscious that people watch you and come up with an opinion of who you are in just a matter of seconds or minutes.When people watch me, do they see Jesus in me or a woman of poor character?While reading Coffee News, this wise thought came up: "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." Make it a good one and know people are watching (in a non creepy way).

Be blessed and be a blessing.

No comments: