Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Humorous Heidi Inserts Foot


Now I know what you're all probably thinking..."Oh my!Heidi is the cutest thing in the world!" And it's totally okay to think that,but there's a bigger purpose for me sharing these oh so embarrassing photos with the world.

As you can tell from the "I can make it up the stairs" and "I hate being a ladybug" face...I had quite the witty sense of humor as a child.I was generally a "smart mouth" according to my parents and my teachers would always comment on my report cards that I was very talkative.I was the kid that passed tons of notes in class and was the "class clown." That name carried on into junior high and high school.It is seriously amazing that I never got a detention. Then,the past two years at camp, I got "best sense of humor" and this year "camp clown."
I believe that humor is totally a gift from God,but depending on how we use it...man,it can ruin a good thing.Something that I've always struggled with has been my sarcasm.I'm going to be brutally honest with you...I've been mean.It wasn't until about two years ago that I truly understand how much my humor can hurt people's feelings.I try to be more and more aware of that and think before I speak so that I don't damage a friendship. Unfortunately,I have inserted my foot in my mouth on several occassions. I hate that.I hate how I have this gift from God and instead of building people up,it tears them down.
The way that I look at internship is that it's a chance for me to grow in all the areas that I need to...when it comes to ministry and also just developing a Godly character.You know what that means...accountability.Now, no one likes to be told when they've messed up...especially when they already know that they've messed up, but I so appreciate how one person in particular is so incredibly real with me.This person tells me when I hurt people and has even said "People let you get away with too much."Ouch...but in a good way.
Accountability sometimes sucks.It's not easy to hear how you need to become a better person, but something that I'm striving for is to become that better Heidi.To not be consumed by other's thoughts of me...but to be transformed by God and become the woman of God that He would have me to be...even if that means having someone tell me what I should change about myself.That's the gift of a true friend...in all honesty.Bizarre, I know,but it's true.
I don't think that God calls us to stay the same.That doesn't make any sense, but we are to become more like Christ and more effective for His mysterious ministry.This is something that I yearn for.I want to be different.I want to be stretched.I want people to identify things that I am that need to be changed.Now that doesn't mean for you all to attack me with what's wrong with me,but having a good friend identify areas that need improving...is helpful.
Be blessed and be a blessing...and watch your mouth.

2 comments:

David said...

Heidi,
How TRUE, how TRUE!! and HOW are we going to GROW if we don't look in the mirror. Accountability and open/honest feedback from those we TRUST will help us grow into HIS image. It's cool to watch AND help others grow. Keep growing in HIS image!!!
David G.

Heidi said...

Thanks Dave!
Continue to keep me in your prayers!