Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tough Question

Last week I sat down with one of my mentors over here and he asked me a bunch of different questions, but one question that really stirred in my heart and head was, "When you leave, what do you want people to say about you?" What a wake up call.I mean,sure I've thought about it...who hasn't. When you meet someone new, you want to know what kind of impression you've made on them.

I sat there for a little bit just soaking in that question that he had asked. What DO I want people to say about me?I thought back to this guy Billy Borden.At a young age, Billy said, "I'm going to give my life to prepare for the mission field." His friends thought that he was crazy to give his life away to be a missionary,but he still pursued it. Billy entered college/uni already more spiritually mature than others. During his college years, Billy made one entry in his personal journal that defined what his classmates were seeing in him: "Say 'no' to self and 'yes' to Jesus every time."

Wow.Billy wrote 6 words at the back of his Bible: "No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." Billy left his inheritance (over a million dollars) to become a missionary (no reserves), after graduating college, he turned down several high paying job opportunities (no retreats), then he left for China to work with Muslims, but stopped in Egypt to study Arabic. While there, he contracted spinal meningitis. Within a month, 25 year old Bill Borden was dead.

What an example. So...back to that question of what I want people to say about me when I'm gone...I want them to say that they saw Jesus in me, that I didn't hold back, that I loved people to my capacity, that I was selfless, and that I provided hope to someone.

What about you...what do you want people to say about you?

No comments: