Sunday, November 16, 2008

We're Not in Kansas Anymore...

I know that some of my readers are wondering just exactly I'm doing here in New Zealand...and I ask myself that same question at times, but God is so quick to remind me what I am doing here...

New Zealand. This place certainly wasn't on the top of my list for places to visit, but since being here I'm wondering why it was never really an option.You see, at school, studying Global Ministry (ministering overseas), I had to go on a 5-6 month internship somewhere overseas...go figure.So, I naturally wanted to go to some place like Swaziland and help with AIDS relief and just show people the love of Jesus. I hate how people treat those with AIDS as if they are the disease, rather than they just have a disease. There's a big difference there.

Anyways,my uni really likes when Global Majors go in partners on their internship, but again, I was dead set against that...I knew that if I went with someone else, then I wouldn't grow as much and I would somehow "cling" to them and hold myself back from what God wanted me to do...so, I was going by myself...that's the end of that.Then, I couldn't find a place to go...at all.I wanted to go someplace where they didn't speak English and where I would be stretched to the max...and then I ended up with New Zealand.

However, I was totally wrong...New Zealand is such a mission field. Yes, they speak English and yes, their culture is similar to the States...but this is such a mission field. When I walk in the mall and see people's faces, they look so sad and lost...they don't know the truth because it isn't well portrayed here.People honestly don't grasp the concept of church.

In the states, you wouldn't hold something on a Sunday because you would know that you wouldn't get a lot of people to come out to it, but here...they plan everything on Sundays, which makes those that attend church miss out on community activities and has them make a choice between church and activities.

Where this may not look like the "typical misisonary field," it is totally a mission field. I was skeptical at first, but with my living situation, with the teens that I work with, with the young adults that I'm coming in contact with...they need Jesus just as much as any other place in the world. This may seem like the "duh" answer, but it's clicking into my head. I guess you could say that I'm learning.

Be blessed and be a blessing.

No comments: