Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Quotes and Thoughts...

Being a studious well, student...I was working on my last directive homework tonight at a coffee shop in downtown Auckland with two good friends.It was such a neat little experience. I love the feel of an internet cafe and this one had a very "homey" feeling to it. So back to the assignment...I've been dreading doing this last assignment just because it's so much reading and sorry,but I wasn't keen to do it...so I've kind of put it off until two weeks before it was due.

I know what some of you are thinking, "you have plenty of time!" Well, I'm not a procrastinator, so this is pretty bad for me. Anyways, I drank my flat white (their normal coffee over here) at 10:15 pm (bad idea because now I'm still wide awake and it's 1 am) and sat down with my computer and book in hand.

So, I opened the book with the thought that "Ugh,I just have to get this done." Little did I know what treasures I would find...I'm doing my directive on the book of Romans, so I've had to read through the book of Romans several times and do some written work for it as well.This is a quote that really got me thinking...I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the subject.

“The obedience of Christians to the Lord who has redeemed them is vital to the gospel Paul preaches. Thus we must avoid two theological extremes: separating faith from obedience in such a way that we can have the one without the other, or identifying them in such a way that obedience is minimized.”

How would we separate faith from obedience? Don't the two go hand in hand...or shouldn't they? Is it possible to have one without the other?Is our faith ever minimized and our obedience maximized?

Another thought that was brought up was that "we grow cavalier toward our sin because we think God will simply overlook it out of his love for us in Christ."What gives us the right to think like that?How do we change that way of thinking?Better yet, how do we address this when it comes to other people?

Just some thoughts...feedback welcome.

Be blessed and be a blessing.

No comments: