Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Christmas in New Zealand...my family away from my family. The fussners (Beth, Jeff(santa), and Emily, Bowlins (Becca, Josh, Caile, Averie), Back- Sara, Rachel, Me, Brent. I was very thankful to spend Christmas with my extended family over here.

So many thoughts went through my head today. I couldn't help but watch the people around me and how they were or had planned to interact with their families, mostly via skype or telephone. It was a hard day. I guess that I thought that me leaving my family would be really tough on them around the holidays because they would know that a person was missing, and I thought that this was a new adventure and that if I were going to get homesick, then it wouldn't be that bad because I was experiencing something new and with new people.

However, my heart didn't feel the same way.It hit hard.While others were watching "The Nativity," my heart and mind were elsewhere...they were in New York with the rest of my family.I wanted to be there,doing the traditions that I have grown up with and sharing that special time with my family.I am so very thankful for my best friend Alicia who stuck by me...she even got her mom on the phone who started crying with me...I felt missed and that warmed my heart.

God constantly amazes me with how He changes my heart and attitude. Yes, I was sad today, but I was able to have a new experience and to share it with new people who mean so very much to me. To have so many people offer to take me in as the "orphan," really made me feel so special. I learned yet again that I am loved both near and far...

So thank you to all who made this Christmas special to me.Both near and far, wide and long, this Christmas will forever be in my memory...and I am forever grateful.

No comments: