Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Out of the Woodwork...

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have sat down, pulled up this page, and started to write, but continued to hit delete because anything that I wrote was mediocre or just "stuff" and not anything of value...so here I go...yet trying again.

For a few months now I have been working/advocating for fifteen students at a local high school who have some type of disability...whether that is a learning disability or something greater, that is my life. I must say that it's one of the most challenging jobs, frustrating jobs, annoying jobs, but SO rewarding. I have seen my kids (yes,I call them that) come so far...in their way of thinking, processing after high school life, exploring careers, doing community service, and above all...really growing in their self confidence.

One of my close friends said to me, "We are put on the earth for a few reasons...one of them being helping others."

This friend is a non-Christian and he gets it. We are to help others...and I'm attempting that to the best of my ability. I refuse to let these kids settle for mediocrity...so we'll push through and knowing that God has a plan for each one, whether they know it or not...is a peace in and of itself.

With that being said, working in a public high school has been interesting...not being able to profess my faith with the students (unless they ask me) is interesting...but God continues to open doors. I have been doing a young adult Bible study with the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. I can't say that I agree with everything in this book, but it's definitely worth your time if you're keen. It's teaching me a whole lot about sharing my faith, not being lukewarm...and what being a "real" Christian looks like.

More to come...I promise.

No comments: