Friday, October 16, 2009

Motivation

I was sitting in math class today when I wrote this.

I'm sitting in math class. Grade 7. We're learning about the standard units of measurement. Riveting. It's 11:17am. Only twenty-three more minutes left in this class. Then onto recess duty for ten minutes. It's quite cold outside, so a winter coat is frighteningly necessary. I'm not going to lie, I love going down the hall and having the kids say, "Who's that?" or "Yay! She's here!" I know, it sounds dorky,but it's nice when kids are actually excited to have me as a substitute.

I've just been sitting in math class after math class. I can't help but scan the classroom and see the looks on the kids faces. They're clearly bored. Perhaps it's because of the monotone teacher. I wonder if I had the same look on my face when I was in grade 7 math class...probably did.

Right now they can't see beyond this. The kids goof off and talk about how they can't wait until they're old enough to drop out of school because they don't see it as "important." They're willing to settle for the life that they've been taught, not to dream, soar, or be passionate about the future. They are willing to settle for mediocre.

Looking around at the posters and "decorations" gets the wheels in my head turning about how I can make my classroom awesome in South Korea. I want kids to be able to focus, but to also feel that learning actually is fun. I want them to have passion and to take that passion out of the classroom. And definitely...under no circumstance...will I allow them to settle for mediocre.

No comments: