Thursday, March 5, 2009

Birthdays Birthdays...


This week my parents both had their birthdays. If I had gone home in February,then I would have been able to celebrate with them. For Mom's birthday I wanted to do something in her honor over here. So, what did I pick? Bungee jumping.

The first bungee jump actually took place in New Zealand, so when I was making a list of all the things that I wanted to do over here, bungee jumping made the list. I thought to myself, “I doubt I’ll even end up doing it, but put it on there.” Then, I became a person who wanted to do everything that she had put on that list…so I called this morning (March 1st in the States) and made the booking. My friend Evan came with me as well. Hey, at least I didn’t have to do it by myself.

As soon as I hung up the phone, I got nervous. Evy and I drove into the city to bungee jump off the harbor bridge. We were petrified, but so excited at the same time. We got all harnessed up and started to walk under the bridge to face our doom. As we were walking and I could see the water through the walkway, I started to get freaked out. I was actually going to do this…no turning back now. It reminded me of the song “I have decided to follow Jesus” except it would be “I have decided to bungee jump. No turning back. No turning back.” It pretty much fits if you sing it through in your head.

I was first up (of course) and went out to the ledge. The guy counted down from five and I leapt off the edge. I dove down and my arms went into the Pacific. How crazy was that?! I bobbed three times and then released my feet so that I was dangling from my waist harness. The view was unbelievable and I even managed to scream “happy birthday Mom!” while I was down there.
For my dad's birthday, I decided to climb an inactive volcano. I have seen Mt. Rangitoto several times since being here, it is one of many volcanoes that are around Auckland. I had it in my mind that I needed to climb it, so on Dad's birthday I took a ferry to Rangitoto and climbed up to the summit where I took the picture from above. Gorgeous!

Mark that off of my list of things to do. I’m different. I’m seizing every opportunity. I don’t want to turn back and regret time…so I’m going to make the most of it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mine was better :)

Unknown said...

Hey Heidi,
You are a brave one! I thnik your mom said there was a video of you bungi jumping,if there is how do I view it?

Heidi said...

Kathy...that's on facebook.
It won't upload to blogspot unfortunately!