Friday, January 29, 2010

New Job...Same Heart.

I have recently started a new job through the Maine Transition Network (MTN) as well as AmeriCorps. The gist of the it is that I am a transition coordinator for high school teens ages 15-18 who have disabilities. I essentially help them prepare for their future and figure out some generic "lifeskills" that they may not know how to do.

I have 14 students that I work with everyday. I've had to do oodles of paperwork,which can be annoying when I just want to hang out with the teens. I have to remember that their homework comes first and then I get to work with them...so I'll help them with their homework, observe them in classes, and provide them with the information that they need in order to accomplish a certain task.

It boggles my mind the kind of need that is around me everyday. These kids not only have disabilities, but are also judged completely because they get put into the "special ed room" so that they can receive the accomodation that they need in order to be successful in school. The people who work with them are incredibly devoted and have encouraged me SO much. Bless them.

There's this one kid, I'll call him Art (not his real name,obv)...and he has a really hard time coming to school...he's been through a lot I guess you could say. He loves to smile...and loves Pepsi. I wanted him to come on a field trip that I'm organizing and for bribery for him to come,I gave him a Pepsi...and now he's stoked to go. This same kid needed someone to go into his gym class with him...so I went because I was free and really enjoy this kid's heart and he makes me laugh constantly,so that always helps of course.

We walk into gym and he heads right for the work out room. Awesome. Neat. I wore flats and had my hair done nicely. He gets on the tredmill and I get on the bike...we work out for ten minutes, then we switch for another ten...then I some weight lifting (laugh if you must) and he laughed at me too. Then we shot basketball. The joy that Art experienced was written all over his face.

To me, that is success. Letting a kid know that he is loved and cherished...

No comments: