Monday, January 12, 2009

Break My Heart

This past weekend, the annual youth camp "Ignite" was held. I was put in charge of all of the games and activities for the weekend.I had a blast putting things together and once the teams were decided, they too had a blast participating in the activities. The weekend consisted of team challenges, small group activities, but more importantly, challenging the teens in their relationship with Christ.


My friend Brent presented the Word and honestly, I got the hugest blessing out of messages.I love being challenged when it comes to loving people and in taking steps to imitating Christ more. I appreciate when people don't sugarcoat things, but when they are totally real with you...and that's what Brent did. He presented the Scripture in a way that was relevent to the teens as well as the leaders.

One of the topics that he spoke about was to not miss out on any opportunity because you never know who you could meet and what kind of impact you could have.That's what I did this weekend...I was determined to not miss out on an opportunity.

One of my teens has really been heavy on my heart for the past two months.I have been praying that he will come to know Christ and own his faith.He was thankfully able to attend camp and I was praying so hard that God would really start to break his heart, just as God had broken my heart for this teen.

When I first arrived in New Zealand, I forced myself to stay awake so that I could meet my teens that I would be working with. When this teen walked in, I didn't think that I would ever get along with him. He was a "pretty boy" and I typically didn't hang out with "pretty boys," so I knew that this would be a challenge. However, after being here three months and seeing the way that he interacts with people, he has such a massive heart. It's a heart that is hidden by hurt, because he cares too much.

I remember growing up, and even still today, people telling me "Heidi, you have a rare heart. You hurt because you care too much." My teen is the same way. After the last service at camp, I ran after my teen to talk with him. We sat down for about twenty minutes and after sharing Scripture with him and talking to him about my experiences and what I see in him, he broke. We stood up and he gave me a hug that lasted for the longest time and it was the tightest hug that I have ever received. He leaned on my shoulder crying as I prayed for him.

God is moving...and it is such a blessing to play a small part. I hope that this encourages you to seize every opportunity that you can because you never know what you could potentially miss out on or who you could potentially not bless because of your own fear.

No comments: