Sunday, April 25, 2010

Time

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the concept of time lately...thinking how I usually have two perspectives on it...either I am thinking, "I've got too much time on my hands and could be doing tons of different things with my time..." or..."There's never enough time."

Upon looking up the word "time" on google, over 3 billion results showed up...typing it into youtube...over 400,000 showed up...and in biblegateway.com, 889 results. I'd say that as a society we think of "time" as quite important.

I've been wrestling with this concept for a little while now. I feel as though we, as humans, try to "play God" when it comes to the time that we have.

We think that we have all the time in the world to go where we want, do what we want, and be who we want...but God's design, I feel, is much bigger than we can even possibly imagine. We change things from God's timing and try to make them our own...and if we do that, it generally goes to custard.

I had a conversation with someone the other day about when doctors put a timeline on our lives...we're sick, so we "only have a year" left...I don't believe that...some have longer, or some have shorter. Who am I to decide the time of someone's life? Rather than choosing to live in fear of not having enough time, shouldn't we be more focused on the time that has been given to us where we are and who we are with?

I'm such a person of deadlines.

I can remember being in college and planning my homework/quizzes/tests based on their due dates. I would sit down with a posterboard and make a calendar and put my due dates a week ahead of when they were actually due...that way, I would have more than enough time to complete the task at hand. Then I could also go back and look at my work and make changes if I needed/wanted to.

Everything is a timeline...our jobs, vacations, sports, leisure time,church, classes...When it comes to deadlines, we generally countdown because we want that deadline to come...so that we can finally be finished with a certain project. However, there's another way of looking at it...
timeframes...



I'm in a situation right now where I don't want the time to go fast...I don't want to see the moments as they slip past...That can be so difficult for me as I love counting down to things...crossing things out of my planner...but I don't want to cross out the time that I have with people...people that are here for a short time and then move on to something new. I want to cherish the time that I have with those that I love.

No comments: