Sunday, May 24, 2009

Personality

Over the past few days I have been thinking about what I used to be like about five to six years ago. Looking back, as hindsight would be 20/20, I realize what a jerk I was to people sometimes. I used to be overly sarcastic to the point that it would destroy my friendships with people. A few people would call me out on it, but I just brushed it off with a "I don't care" type of attitude. However, looking back, I wish that I had listened...instead, it took me years to realize the damage that I had done with family, friends, and even strangers. First impressions are huge...and goodness knows that I need/want to make a good one.

Besides making a good first impression, I got to thinking about my personality. When I'm around certain personalities now, I think a ton...because I realize "Oh, I used to be like that." And then I hear it echo in my head.."OH, I used to be like that...really?" I'm finding more and more that I want a personality that not only stays true to myself, but lifts people up, and doesn't jeapordize the relationship that I have with them. I want to have a personality that inspires people...challenges people...makes people laugh...encourages people...and builds good relationships.

Personality is a huge part of who we are...
When I looked up the word "personality" in the dictionary...these are some of the definitions that I found.

1. the visible aspect of one's character as it impresses others
2. a person as an embodiment of a collection of qualities
3. the quality of being a person
4. the essential character of a person

With personality being "the essential character of a person," I want to make sure that mine helps and does not hurt people. I want to be known for having a dynamite personality! It's meant to "impress" others...not cause people to spiral into a depression...so is your personality worth being around?

No comments: